Learn the skills to work with young children
Do you love spending time with young children? This diploma teaches you the skills and knowledge you need to work with young children from birth to five years of age, as they engage in prior-to-school contexts. Through your studies, you’ll learn how to guide children’s learning and development, and how to contribute to their sense of self and wellbeing.
- ^Online with mandatory onsite requirements available from Semester 1, 2022.
- Student profile
Explore the likely peer cohort in the student profile data
In this program you will:
- Develop the skills you need for employment in childcare, long day care or kindergarten settings
- Learn how to design creative, intentional teaching practices using language, play and cooperation
- Learn about child development; care and nutrition for babies, toddlers and children; and working with families, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Complete 35 days of professional experience placement with babies, toddlers and children in kindergarten
Following successful completion of the Diploma of Education Studies (Early Childhood), you may be eligible for credit into the Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood). (Note: you must meet all entry requirements for Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) to receive an offer for that program.)
Employment in childcare, long day care, or as a family day care coordinator
To be eligible for entry into the Diploma in Education Studies (Early Childhood) you need to be 17 years or older, or have completed Year 12 or equivalent. If you are from a non-English speaking background, you also need to meet USC’s English language requirements.
You also need to be eligible for an ATAR or selection rank equal to or above the minimum selection threshold. As this diploma is being offered for the first time in 2022, the Semester 1, 2022 ATAR/Selection Rank information is not yet available. For advice on your application, you can contact our Student Central team.
Students must have a Working with Children Check (Blue Card), or link their existing Blue Card to USC, prior to commencing a professional experience placement.
How to apply
Applications for 2022 are open now. For more information go to How to apply.
^Online with mandatory onsite requirements available from Semester 1, 2022.
What will I study?
Select your location, starting year and starting semester below to display your program structure and study sequence.
The study sequence ONLY represents the CURRENT program structure. Students MUST follow their commencing structure and use this study sequence to guide enrolment.