How to change your program | UniSC | University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

How to change your program

Changing your program

Important information: Changing programs may cause an increase in your fees. If you change your program, under the Australian Government's Job-ready Graduates Package, you will be considered a commencing student and your fees may be higher. For more information, please visit Fees.

From 2022, if you are currently studying under a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) and commence a new program of study, you will have your completion rate assessed under the Government’s Job-ready Graduates requirements. Additional information is available on the Australian Government's FAQ's for students webpage.

If you have completed at least one semester of study in a UniSC award program (either successfully or unsuccessfully) prior to the Study Period in which your program change will become effective, you can apply to change your program of study. The admission criteria in place for new students will also apply for all students wanting to change program. Not all programs are available to be commenced in each semester, please check the program web page prior to submitting an application.

Majors and/or minors that are not a program requirement cannot be registered on your Academic Record.

If you are receiving a scholarship, prior to submitting an application please contact Scholarships to check if changing your program will affect your ability to continue to receive your scholarship.

When applying for a program change, refer to the Academic Calendars to take note of key dates for last day to add a new course enrolment, swap courses or change classes, and census date.

If you have not completed a semester of study in a UniSC program (e.g. deferred commencement of your program or withdrew from your first semester of study prior to census date), you will need to apply through QTAC (domestic students only).

Do not use this form to add or change a major/minor within your existing program. To add or change a major/minor within your existing program, please visit Request to change required Majors and Minors.


Applications for a program change effective from Semester 1, 2023 open 12 September 2022.

NOTE: Please allow up to thirty working days for your application to be assessed. This time frame may be extended during peak periods and for complex applications.

Important information for the Bachelor of Music:

Applicants considering a change of program to Bachelor of Music will need to submit:

  1. a program change application via Apply USC, AND
  2. a digital music portfolio.

For information about the requirements for your digital portfolio submission, visit Digital portfolio submission guide for the Bachelor of Music. Your program change application will not progress until we receive a complete digital portfolio supporting your application.

Please note that Bachelor of Music has a fixed closing date which also applies for all program change applications. Refer to Application dates for more information.

Important information for Nursing, Midwifery and Education programs:

  • If you are applying for Nursing or Midwifery programs, please note that once a preliminary assessment is done, you will be required to complete the ANMAC declaration which states how you satisfy the English Language Requirements.
  • If you are applying for Initial Teacher Education programs, including dual degrees, please note that once a preliminary assessment is done, you will be required to complete the Non Academic Competencies Statement which demonstrates possession of key competencies outlined by the Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) as those attributes and motivations common to effective teachers.

We will contact you upon preliminary assessment of your application whether you need to complete any of the above.

To apply to change your program:

  • Log in to USC Central.
  • Select Tasks.
  • Select Fill out a new form.
  • Select Program Change.
  • Complete the required details in the form.
  • Select Submit.

You can check the status of your application in the Offers section of USC Central.

If you are a postgraduate student, you will need to re-apply for the new program using the Application for Postgraduate Coursework form.

International postgraduate students will need to re-apply for the new program via USC International.

International students studying on a Student visa who are considering a program change that impacts on their overall duration of study are advised to discuss their program change intentions with the Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) to identify potential impacts on their Student visa.

If you are a current UniSC student and are thinking about changing your program, your first step is to look at the career planning resources to help guide your decision. 

Career planning is a lifelong process: it involves a series of decisions considered over time as your life priorities and opportunities change. For university students, career planning is about choosing a career path related to your field of study and preparing you for employment.

We encourage you to make an appointment with the Careers and Employability team to chat about your options.

You may also be eligible for exemptions or credit transfer from your previous study.