Lin is a medical scientist and researcher with management and leadership experience in the public and private health sector, not for profit organisations and Australian universities. She enjoys teaching undergraduate students and specialises in mentoring health professionals though their PhD research projects.
She leads the “OptiBlood” translational research team which is focused on optimising the patient’s blood and blood use. Lin is an active member of various hospital patient blood management committees to support evidence based transfusion practice. She has developed a murine and a range of ovine models of transfusion to investigate the pathogenesis of TRALI and how extracorporeal circuits (ECMO and CPB) modulate haemostasis.
Lin has over 60 publications, secured research grants worth over A$4.3 million and has presented at multiple international conferences. She maintains an active international profile through her role as the International Society of Blood Transfusion’s (ISBT) Regional Director of West Pacific. She also holds adjunct positions with the Sunshine Coast Hospital & Health Service, The Prince Charles Hospital, Griffith University, Bond University and North Central Blood Services of American Red Cross in Minnesota. Lin welcomes new collaborations on blood related projects.
- Regional Director of West Pacific International Society of Blood Transfusion (ISBT)
- Visiting Research Fellow and member of Blood management Committee, Sunshine Coast Hospital & Health Service
- Visiting Research Fellow and member of Blood management Committee, The Prince Charles Hospital
- Member of Annals of Blood, Editorial Board
- Associate Professor and Research Fellow in the Centre of Health Practice Innovation, Griffith University
- Associate Professor, Bond University, School of Health Sciences
- Member of International Society of Blood Transfusion (ISBT)
- Member of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Blood Transfusion (ANZSBT)
- Member of Haematology Society of Australia and New Zealand (HSANZ)
- evidence based transfusion practice
- blood management in cardiac surgical, orthopedic and emergency departments
- use of subcutanoeus immunoglobulin (SCIg) in Australia
- transfusion of older adults
- transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI)
- neutrophil immunobiology
- Blood Banking
- Transfusion Science
Dr Lin Fung’s specialist areas of expertise include: blood banking, transfusion medicine, haematology and medical laboratory science