Graduating students are eligible for a number of graduation awards:
The University Council awards the Chancellor's Medal in recognition of outstanding achievements by graduates of the University who have:
- made a distinguished contribution to the local or wider community; and/or
- provided outstanding support and service to members of the University; and
- achieved a high level of academic performance throughout their program of study at the University.
Nominations for the Chancellor's Medal may be made by any staff member of the University, by another student or by a member of the University Alumni (a student cannot self-nominate). Nominees need to meet the following criteria:
- have completed their program and will graduate in April 2020;
- clearly demonstrates a distinguished contribution to University life and/or the community which is above and beyond any requirements for their award program;
- have achieved a high level of academic performance. Consideration will not normally be given to any graduating student who has a final GPA of less than 6.0 (Honours students require a class IIA or better, all completed HDR students are included). If a nominee has a final GPA of less than that required then the nomination needs to include details of the special circumstances relating to the nominee which would support a lower requirement;
- have completed at least two-thirds of their graduating program via study with USC;
- have not previously been awarded a Chancellor's Medal.
Nominees are considered by a panel consisting of the Chancellor (Chair), the Vice-Chancellor and President, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) and an elected student member of Council.
The next Chancellor's Medal/s will be awarded to the recipient/s at the Graduation ceremony they are invited to attend in April 2020. Nominations close at 4pm on Monday 2 March 2020.
When completing the nomination form you will need to consult with your nominee to provide details on their academic performance and describe their contribution to University life and/or the Community.
Enquiries regarding the Chancellor's Medal may be directed to Anthony Saint (Associate Director, Student Business Services) Tel: +61 7 5430 1279 or email email@example.com.
A University Medal may be awarded to graduating students enrolled in a three or four year Bachelor's degree, in recognition of academic excellence. To be eligible a student must have undertaken at least 192 unit points at the University and must have achieved a final Grade Point Average of 6.80 or more (refer to Grades and Grade Point Average (GPA) procedures).
A Medal for Academic Excellence may be awarded to graduating students enrolled in a three or four year Bachelor's degree, in recognition of academic excellence. To be eligible a student must have undertaken at least 192 unit points at the University and must have achieved a final Grade Point Average of 6.60 to 6.79 (refer to Grades and Grade Point Average (GPA) procedures).
High-achieving members of the community can be considered for honorary awards. The Honorary Awards Committee, chaired by the Chancellor, meets twice a year to assess nominations for honorary awards in accordance with the Honorary Awards – Governing Policy.
USC bestows the following honorary awards:
An honorary award of Emeritus Professor of the University may be made to a person who has occupied the position of professor at the University of the Sunshine Coast and has rendered sustained and distinguished service to the University. Through leadership or personal performance, this service has added to the University’s reputation in one or more of these areas: research, scholarship, teaching, academic innovation, management or community service.
Doctor of the University
An honorary award of Doctor of the University may be made to a person in recognition of excellence and extraordinary achievement in a significant area of human endeavour.
An honorary award of Senior Fellow may be made to a person in recognition of a significant and sustained contribution to the development of the University or of the Sunshine Coast region.