Report on Council meeting –
22 February 2021
At its meeting held on 22 February 2021, the following matters were received or noted by the University Council:
Presentation: Proposed update to the Strategic Plan 2021-2024
Council received a presentation from the Vice-Chancellor and President, Professor Helen Bartlett, on the proposed update to the Strategic Plan 2021-2024, following the consultation process.
USC 2020 Annual Financial Statements
Council resolved to approve the University’s 2020 Annual Financial Statements, as presented in Document 3.2.1
Foreign Interference Policy Amendments
Amendments were proposed to support the implementation of the Guidelines to Counter Foreign Interference in the Australian University Sector. Council resolved that the amendments to the following Governing Policies be approved, as set out in Document 3.2.2:
- Controlled Entities – Governing Policy
- Conflict of Interest – Governing Policy
- Management of Contracts and Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) – Governing Policy
- Responsible Research Conduct – Governing Policy
2020 December Outcomes Report of the University Consolidated Budget
Council resolved that the 2020 December Outcomes Report of the University Consolidated Budget be approved, as set out in Document 3.3.2.
Terms of Reference PRC, ARMC and Nominations Committee
Council resolved that the amendments to the Composition and Terms of Reference of the following Council Committees be approved, as set out in Document 3.5.1:
- Planning and Resources Committee
- Audit and Risk Management Committee
- Nominations Committee (to be renamed as the Nominations Committee and Executive Committee of Council)
Amendments to student policies
Council resolved that the amendments to the following Governing Policies be approved, as set out in Document 3.5.2:
- Student Conduct – Governing Policy
- Student Grievance Resolution – Governing Policy
- Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment and Respectful Relationships (Students) – Governing Policy
Council resolved to approve that the following Governing Policies be rescinded, as set out in Document 3.5.2, as their content had been included in amended policies:
- Student Academic Integrity – Governing Policy
- Anti-Discrimination and Freedom from Bullying and Harassment (Students) – Governing Policy.
Planning and Reporting – Governing Policy
Council resolved that the proposed amendments to the Planning and Reporting – Governing Policy be approved, as set out in Document 4.2.1.
Election of Deputy Chancellor
Council received a paper noting the outcome of a call for nominations for the office of Deputy Chancellor of the University of the Sunshine Coast, as set out in Document 8.1. Council noted that Mr Scott Williams AM had been elected to the Office of Deputy Chancellor by the members of Council and Council resolved to approve his term of office until 10 December 2024, subject to his continued membership on Council as an external member.
Committee membership re-appointment
Council resolved to reappoint Mr Scott Williams AM as Chairperson of the Planning and Resources Committee commencing from 11 April 2021 for a three-year term, subject to his continued membership on Council as an external member, as set out in Document 8.2.
On this occasion, Council also received or noted the following:
- Regular reports from the Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor and President
- Exercise of Authorisations
- Report on Use of the University Seal
- Report on programs accredited by Academic Board in 2020
- Minutes and reports of standing committees of Council