Pursue your passion for writing.
Turn your love of words and stories into a career with USC’s industry-focused creative writing degree. Taught by award-winning authors, book illustrators and designers, you’ll hone your writing and storytelling skills while building a portfolio of work across a variety of styles and genres.
- Only a full-time option is available to international students on a Student visa. Online programs are not available to Student visa holders.
- * Estimated tuition fees are based on 2021 rates. Refer to international fees for more information.
- Not all majors/minors and elective options are available at every campus. You should refer to the What Can I Study tab, and the proposed study sequence for your chosen campus and intake for further information.
- Student profile
Explore the likely peer cohort in the student profile data
- Inherent Academic Requirements
Prospective students must consider the Inherent Academic Requirements before applying to study this program.
- Program coordinator
- Dr Ross Watkins
In this program you will:
- Be introduced to a wide variety of creative-writing styles and genres, including novels, short stories, poetry, screenwriting, and writing for children and young adults.
- Study with award-winning writers, book illustrators and designers who are actively involved in the business of writing.
- Build your portfolio and develop industry-ready skills in editing, publishing, and book promotion.
- Expand your career options with a choice of electives in journalism, English literature, teaching, and design.
- Creative writer
- Communications officer
- Blog writer/web page content writer
What will I study?
Select your location, starting year and starting semester below to display your program structure and study sequence.
The study sequence ONLY represents the CURRENT program structure. Students MUST follow their commencing structure and use this study sequence to guide enrolment.
Related newsUSC Newsroom
Anthology shines light on Creative Writing graduate16 November 2020
A USC 2018 Master’s graduate has taken her fascination with lighthouses to the next level as both editor and contributor to a newly published anthology focused on her favourite subject.
Word power helps illustrator bring stories to life1 June 2020
Children’s author and illustrator Shannon Horsfall says completing a Creative Writing degree at USC has taken her story-telling skills and love of literature to new levels.
Scholarship offers new chapter for aspiring author10 March 2020
After topping the class in English every year from Grade 8 to Grade 12, Cairns State High School graduate Jayda Franks has only ever had her heart set on one career path – to become a published writer.