Dr Graham Ashford is an environmental and resource economist with considerable experience designing and managing complex international research and capacity building projects. Examples include: ecosystem services and environmental values assessment in the Sunshine Coast Region; economic modelling of credit discounting policies on the CDM carbon market; financial analysis of Canarium nut processing in PNG (funder: ACAIR); economic analysis of rainwater harvesting in Madagascar and coastal inundation in Mauritius (European Union); technical and editorial support for North Korea’s State of Environment Report (UNEP); training of North Korean officials in the Clean Development Mechanism (UNEP) and environmental management (Government of China, IDRC); training of Caribbean country experts in the preparation of Second National Communications to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNDP); assessment of the impacts of trade liberalization, structural adjustment programs and climate change on cocoa producers in Ghana (Danish Department of Foreign Affairs); analysis of the environmental, social and economic impacts of major UK commodity imports (UK-DEFRA); conservation policy advice to the Pimachiowin Aki World Heritage Site project (IISD); documentation of Inuit observations of climate change in the Canadian Arctic (Canadian government); assessment of non-timber forest values in traditional indigenous land use areas (Manitoba government); design of micro-finance and watershed development projects in Southern India (UK-DFAIT); and assessment of the contribution of commercial fishing to the Comox Valley economy (CVEDS).
Dr Ashford is a Senior Lecturer, Environmental & Natural Resources Economics. He’s served in leadership roles in curriculum design and quality assurance, including as Deputy Head of the School of Science and Engineering from 2018 to 2020 and as Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) in the Faculty of Science, Health, Education and Engineering from 2015 to 2017.
- Professional Member, Economic Society of Australia (PMESA)
- Member, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society (AARES)
- Member, Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand (MEIANZ)
- Senior Fellow, Higher Education Academy
Dr Ashford is a recipient of a Commonwealth Office of Learning and Teaching Citation and is a Senior Fellow in the Higher Education Academy.
- international climate change mitigation policy
- carbon markets and the Clean Development Mechanism
- climate change adaptation economic analysis
- climate modelling, impact and vulnerability analysis
- integrated environmental assessment and reporting
- Environmental and Resource Economics
- Environmental Management
- Carbon and Biodiversity Markets
- Climate Change Mitigation
- Climate Change Adaptation
Graham's areas of expertise includes environmental economics, carbon and biodiversity markets, climate change mitigation and adaptation.