Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) is a comprehensive quality evaluation of all research produced in Australian universities against national and international benchmarks. The ratings are determined and moderated by committees of distinguished researchers, drawn from Australia and overseas. The unit of evaluation is broadly defined as the Field of Research (FoR) within an institution based on the Australia and New Zealand Standard Classification (ANZSRC).
University of the Sunshine Coast's research in thirteen key areas has been given the highest possible classification of 'well above world standard' in the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) 2018 national report.
'Well above world standard' (ERA rating of 5)
- Environmental Sciences (05)
- Ecological Applications (0501)
- Environmental Science and Management (0502)
- Ecology (0602)
- Zoology (0608)
- Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences (07)
- Fisheries Sciences (0704)
- Forestry Sciences (0705)
- Horticultural Production (0706)
- Veterinary Sciences (0707)
- Technology (10)
- Neurosciences (1109)
- Nursing (1110)
'Above world standard' (ERA rating of 4)
- Biological Sciences (06)
- Materials Engineering (0912)
- Psychology and Cognitive Sciences (17)
- Psychology (1701)
'World standard' (ERA rating of 3)
- Engineering (09)
- Medical and Health Sciences (11)
- Human Movement and Sports Science (1106)
- Medical Microbiology (1108)
- Studies in Human Society (16)
- Criminology (1602)
- Human Geography (1604)
- Policy and Administration (1605)
- Language, Communication and Culture (20)
A complete list of USC's ERA 2018 results is available on the ARC website.
ERA outcomes provide valuable feedback to the Australian government and the general public about the overall performance of Australia's research system.
These ratings also provide useful quality indicators to support monitoring and planning within universities. These assessments allow USC to identify its strengths and emerging research areas, as well as to establish quality targets and priorities across its disciplines.