15 August 2017
A stunning collection of visual art by secondary school students from across the North Coast education region (south zone) will open at USC Art Gallery on Thursday 24 August at 6.30pm.
The Creative Generation Excellence Awards in Visual Art: Regional Exhibition 2017 is part of a State-wide program that recognises and promotes excellence in senior visual arts education and student achievement throughout all Queensland high schools.
Queensland Department of Education and Training Assistant Regional Director Mary Coverdale will be guest speaker for the opening event that is open to the public and the media.
USC Art Gallery Manager Megan Williams said it would be the first time that many of the young artists see their work presented in a professional art gallery environment.
“It is exciting to be able to play a part in the development of young artists’ careers and we hope that being a part of this exhibition is just the beginning for them,” she said.
Ms Williams said USC Art Gallery had presented this exhibition by high school students for more than 10 years, building relationships with schools, teachers and students in the region.
“The exhibition is an important annual event that helps raise community awareness about the degree of sophistication in concepts, the diversity of technical competence, and the high standard of arts education in Queensland secondary schools,” she said.
“The diversity of mediums and approaches to art-making is exciting and the standard of the works is always excellent.
“We are also pleased that this year the exhibition coincides with the Horizon Festival of Arts and Culture and has been included in the official program of events.”
To add to the excitement of the opening event, the North Coast regional awards for excellence, commendation and regional encouragement will be announced. The winners will have their works exhibited at the Gallery of Modern Art in Brisbane in 2018.
The exhibition is presented in association with the Queensland Department of Education and Training and Q Super. It will run until Saturday 9 September and school groups are encouraged to visit.
USC Art Gallery is located at the USC campus at Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs. It is open free to the public from 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday. The Gallery is closed Sundays and public holidays.
- Exhibition: Creative Generation Excellence Awards in Visual Art: Regional Exhibition 2017
- An annual exhibition held at USC Art Gallery that celebrates the work of senior high school students in the region.
- Exhibition dates: 24 August – 9 September 2017
- Opening hours: 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday, closed Sundays and public holidays
- Official opening event: Thursday 24 August 6:30pm at USC Art Gallery
- RSVP for the opening event at Eventbrite.
- Students participating are from more than 30 state and independent secondary schools from the North Coast education region (south zone) — from Pine Rivers in the south to Cooroy in the north.
- The artworks on display have been produced as part of the senior visual art curriculum studies in 2017.