Insurance Information for student placements - University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

Accessibility links

Insurance Information for student placements


​Corona virus (COVID 19)​

Travel Insurance Policy Response to new paid travel arrangements

“Foreseen Circumstance” Under Policy Terms and Conditions Insurance coverage 

For a “foreseen circumstance” may be precluded under the terms and conditions of some policies. It is important that you consider this prior to the purchase new travel arrangements for an existing travel policy with usc.
COVID-19 is considered a “foreseen circumstance” effective 4:00pm (AEDT) on 2 March 2020 for new policies effected and/or new paid travel arrangements made after this date.

To be eligible for USC insurance coverage whilst undertaking a placement you must be a student with an active enrolment status in accordance with the definition provided in the Admissions, Enrolments and Graduation – Academic Policy.

Unpaid placements that are a course requirement — In Australia

A student who undertakes a placement in Australia as a requirement of their enrolled course or degree program is covered by the University's Student Personal Accident, Public Liability, Professional Indemnity and Medical Malpractice insurances (where applicable) whilst undertaking the placement, if:

  • The placement is unpaid
  • The placement and associated activities are approved by USC

Students requiring support or reasonable adjustments related to an issue that has occurred on placement can contact AccessAbility Services.

Student Personal Accident Insurance

The Student Personal Accident insurance covers enrolled students of the University of the Sunshine Coast and provides 24-hour cover, 365 days a year for accidental death and capital benefits while undertaking approved unpaid Work Integrated Learning placements in Australia.

The cover is for accident only, not sickness.

The policy provides benefits for death, disability, some loss of wages and medical expenses arising from accidental injury. Medical expenses where there is a full or partial Medicare rebate / benefit available, are not covered therefore students will be responsible for any out of pocket expenses, should they choose to be treated by a medical practitioner or facility that does not bulk bill.

The policy assumes students will be treated in a public hospital.

This policy should not be seen as a substitute for private medical health cover and / or work cover or accident and life cover. Any activity which is not part of the placement (for example extreme sports, sightseeing or shopping) is not covered by the University's personal accident insurance.

Public Liability Insurance

Students are indemnified for legal liability in respect of third party claims for damages to property or injury to persons while undertaking approved unpaid placement. This cover does not extend to incidents involving motor vehicles.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

The University holds professional indemnity insurance which covers you, when you act within the limits of your training, for legal liability arising out of a breach of professional duty by reason of any negligent act, error or omission committed or alleged to have been committed by you whilst engaged in an approved unpaid placement.

Medical Malpractice Insurance

Medical Malpractice Coverage is provided for placements that require clinical experience placements within Australia. The policy provides cover against civil liability for compensation arising from any claim as a result of medical malpractice.

All treatment given by a student must be under the direct supervision or express instruction of a qualified practitioner. All applicable clinical protocols must be followed.

All patients or guardians must be fully informed and consent must be obtained before commencing any care, procedure or intervention.

Personal Property Insurance

Student personal property is not covered by the University’s Insurance at any time. If you wish to arrange cover for personal items you must do so at your own expense.

Motor Vehicle Insurance

If students use a private car(s) and/or motorcycles on off-campus placements, it is the student’s responsibility to arrange insurance as University insurance does not extend to private motor vehicles. All students should ensure any vehicle they travel in is road worthy with current fully paid registration and a minimum of current compulsory third party insurance.

If a student wishes to arrange motor vehicle(s) and/or motor cycle(s) insurance it is at the student’s expense. If a student is driving a vehicle owned by the Industry Partner, insurance is the responsibility of the Industry Partner and not the University. However, if a student uses an Industry Partner's vehicle(s) the student should confirm what type of insurance is held and if cover applies.

Personal Health Insurance

The University does not provide any personal medical insurance cover for students. If a student wishes to arrange private health cover, it is at the students own expense. Australian students are covered under Medicare and international students must have health insurance as a condition of their entry to Australia. International students are advised to contact USC International in relation to Overseas Student Health Cover.

Unpaid placements / exchange that are a course requirement — undertaken Overseas

The University has insurance that may cover you while on placement overseas, this will be confirmed after a risk assessment and placement documentation is completed for the placement. If you have any questions regarding this coverage please contact

Students requiring support or reasonable adjustments related to an issue that has occurred on placement can contact AccessAbility Services.

Travel insurance

The University insures all outbound University students on exchange (ie. placement) for up to 12 months in any one journey, as long as it is an approved placement or exchange. In some circumstances students may be required to purchase their own comprehensive travel insurance.

Associated Leisure / Private travel may be taken either side of or during your placement or study period. The associate Leisure / Private travel portion must not exceed more than 60% of the Placement / Study period in its entirety. Where the duration of the trip is less than 10 days, a maximum of 5 days Leisure / Private travel shall apply.

It is important to note that the University insurance policy could exclude cover for travel to countries where the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) have issued a specific warning not to travel.

Insurers can reject claims such as evacuation costs under the policy if there had been a warning before the date of the journey was booked advising that such events were likely to occur or an occurrence being foreseeable to a reasonable person before a traveler entered the country.

All claims for loss or damage, injury or sickness can be rejected if caused by an act of war (whether declared or not) including invasion or civil war, or if you do not meet the conditions the insurer sets. Insurers can reject medical claims for pre-existing medical conditions.

If you are aware of a pre-existing health/medical condition which may impact on your travel, it is advisable that you obtain written confirmation with your medical practitioner that you are fit to travel.

A pre-existing condition means:

(a) any physical defect, condition, illness or disease for which treatment, medication or advice (including advice for treatment) has been received or prescribed by a Doctor or dentist in the 12 months immediately prior to the Covered Person's Journey; or

(b) a condition, the manifestation of systems of which a reasonable person in the circumstances would be expected to be aware of at the time of booking their Journey.

More information on Pre-Existing Medical Conditions can be found at: Chubb Travel Information

Overseas travel

Travel overseas (outside of Australia) for University purposes will not be approved to areas under current DFAT warnings "Do not travel" or "Reconsider your need to travel" or if insurance cover is not available.

In preparation for any overseas travel, you should do the following:

  • Organise comprehensive travel insurance for any personal travel you do before and after your approved placement and check what circumstances and activities are not covered by your policy
  • Register travel and contact details with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • Subscribe to DFATs travel advice for your upcoming destination(s) to receive free email updates each time the travel advice is reissued
  • The Government has developed a website that provides information for students studying overseas. You may find the travelling overseas section helpful to prepare for your travel.

Student Travel Insurance Summary

General placement insurance information

Students requiring support or reasonable adjustments related to an issue that has occurred on placement can contact AccessAbility Services.

Notification of accidents, incidents and injuries

Accidents, incidents or injuries that occur at a placement facility should be reported to your supervisor and procedures of the facility followed, including completion of any workplace health and safety forms.

To ensure that appropriate follow up for the incident is in place, you must submit an Incident Report Form to notify USC staff.

AccessAbility Services can provide you with an insurance claim form, instructions and support to lodge the claim.

Paid placements

If you receive any form of payment, gratuity or reward for the placement undertaken, the University insurance does not extend to you. You should confirm with the placement organisation that you are covered as an employee of their organisation.

Students undertaking a paid placement overseas may be covered by the University travel insurance. However, as a general rule, they will not be covered by Public Liability, Professional Indemnity or injuries sustained whilst at work.

The Public Liability, Professional Indemnity or injuries sustained whilst at work should be covered by an employer. Students should contact to confirm coverage prior to departure as the University's insurance policy is subject to change.