For all campus emergencies call 5430 1168 or Ext 1168.
If required, DIAL 000 for Emergency Services.
On becoming aware of a bomb threat
Written bomb threat (including fax or email)
- Minimise handling of the document containing the threat and the envelope it was delivered in.
- Preserve any evidence, such as the threat document and envelope, by placing them in a plastic pocket or bag for delivery to the Chief Warden and/or SafeUSC (Security).
- Notify SafeUSC (Security) Ext 1168 or 5430 1168 as soon as possible, but not by mobile phone.
- Follow the instructions of SafeUSC (Security) and/or Emergency Services personnel.
- Do not evacuate until told to do so.
- Move to the nominated Evacuation Assembly Area, if directed to do so, and stay there until the 'All Clear' has been given.
Telephone bomb threat
- Keep the caller talking (do not hang up) as this may assist in tracing the call.
- Remain calm and do not do or say anything that may encourage irrational behaviour.
- Notify SafeUSC (Security) Ext 1168 or 5430 1168 as soon as possible, but not by mobile phone. This may require the recipient of the call attracting the attention of someone else to contact SafeUSC (Security), so as to avoid the recipient breaking the contact.
- Record the following details including:
- Exact wording of the threat
- Location of the device, no matter how general
- Time of detonation
- Name, sex and other details of the caller, such as estimated age
- Details of the speech, accent, delivery and background noises
On becoming aware of a telephone threat being made to someone in your area
- Encourage them to keep the caller talking and support the recipient of the call as best you can.
- Contact SafeUSC (Security) Ext 1168 or 5430 1168 and notify them of the situation.
- Turn off mobile telephones and encourage others to do the same.
- Follow the instructions of relevant SafeUSC (Security) and/or relevant Emergency Services personnel.
- Do not evacuate unless told to do so.
- Prior to evacuating, check your immediate work area to see if there are any packages, bags or other forms of container that are out of place or do not belong in the area.
- Alert SafeUSC (Security) and/or relevant Emergency Services personnel if anything unusual is detected. Do not attempt to inspect the item.
- Follow the instructions of SafeUSC (Security), Emergency Services and ECO* personnel to evacuate the building to the nominated Evacuation Assembly Area, and assist with the evacuation of disabled occupants.
- Move to the nominated Evacuation Assembly Area, if directed to do so, and do not leave the Evacuation Assembly Area until the 'All Clear' has been given.
Always refer to Emergency communications in the event of an emergency for latest announcements.
* (ECO) Emergency Control Organisation